Sunday, January 03, 2021

DIY Wood Push Toy Duck


This is a push toy duck that was fashioned after a similar item that was purchased many years ago.
The pre-schoolers and the toddlers liked it, so I decided to make a similar one for another toddler. I used a 2" X 6" board for the body and filed the edges to smooth it. The wheels are wood too. Cut them out, drill a hole in the center (or for more fun, a little off center to help with the "waddle"). Cut a slot in each wheel and glue a "foot" in there.  I couldn't find any rubber (I didn't have any old inner tubes laying around from a bicycle), so I used a cut out piece from a black plastic binder from the local dollar store (you can see the binder in the phone below, I had to cut out a piece to fix the old duck from years ago in the picture below).

This is the one we purchased many years ago.When it's pushed, the wheels turn and there were pieces of rubber that would flap around and slap on the ground: alternating with the right, then the left. The duck waddles as it's pushed.  The rubber "feet" were lost years ago, I just cut a piece out of that plastic binder to replace them. Good as new! 




No comments: