Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day on this 100th Anniversary of Father's day

It's the 100th anniversary of Father's day today!

My dad is 86. I was trying to think of something for him. I've asked him in the past what he'd like and even have given him ideas. He says he doesn't need anything. I used to give him film for his camera, he always loves taking photos. But, now he has a digital camera, so there's no need for film anymore. For the past few years we used to take him to a baseball game. He liked being with everyone, but he was never a big sports fan. And this year, the weeks of rains have put a damper on that idea.

I know that he has just about everything he needs in the way of "things." I realized what he would really like is to be with people! So, we had him here to be with everyone today. He enjoys that. I also wrote him a nice long letter about all I'm thankful to him for. He enjoyed that too.

The Bible gives us the ten commandments and the first command with a promise (see Ephesians 6:2) is the one "honor your father and mother..." that includes something along the lines (Henry Will paraphrase here) "...so that you may live long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you."
Well, I hope I honored my dad today. I hope I've honored him with my life too.

Dad's are important, they are family leaders, in one way or the other - whether they want to be or not.

I'm a dad too. I hope I'm a good leader and example.

I think we all need to take the time to build up some dads we know and encourage them to be better fathers. For those of us who are fathers, that's probably best done by example.

No comments: