Sunday, January 03, 2010

Happy New Year! Goals and Planning

Talking with some of our friends the other day, we were talking about setting goals and planning for the new year.

I try to set goals at the beginning of the year. I try to keep them S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Timely).

When I was younger, I didn't like to set goals because I wanted God to be able to direct me. I figured he should set my goals.

Now, I realize, I need something to work toward. Some of our friends don'set goals, they like to be open to the Lord's leading. I can see that. I think it depends on your personality. For me, I need the structure and the goals.

I was just reading about goal setting the other day and my take away is that they need to be measurable. For example, I need to set a goal for my weight (something I'm currently working on) with a target date. As a Project Manager Professional (PMP) this fits right in with my regular practice: setting dates with measurable goals!

If you're the type to set goals, I'll provide you with some ideas here of the areas I set goals in:

1. Spiritual: What are the goals in my spiritual walk. In 2010, my goal is to "walk with the Lord" just as Enoch walked with the Lord. I want to continually be walking with God. For me, this also includes praying constantly and reading through the Bible.

2. Emotional: Goals for relationships and for my own emotional health. This includes what I want to do for those around me (family, friends, work colleagues) and for my own health.

3. Physical: This is were exercise and diet come into play.

4. Financial: How can we make better use of the funds that God has sent our way? What do we want to contribute to? What and how will we save? Spend? I also work with my wife to take a financial snapshot and do some financial planning.

5. Development/Career: What will I do to learn more about my career? What learning? What books? Courses?

6. House and Home Goals: What do I plan to accomplish in the house this year?

Keep in mind, that I still want God to set my goals. He is far better to direct my paths. So, I ask him for his leading, guidance, and wisdom. I am flexible and open to his leading. If he wants to re-arrange my goals, I listen for him to lead me.

There is a church nearby that is doing 3 sessions on Completing a Personal Life Development Plan. They will be covering our gifts, setting 1 and 5 year plans, as well as much of the areas I outlined above. I'm hoping to attend and maybe I'll post more.

No comments: