Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Good Entertainer Leaves Their Audience Wanting More

As a youngster, I wanted to be a magician. I had a magician's kit and a book or two. I often put on shows for the family.

I just remembered the other day a lesson that I learned in one of the books:
"A Good Entertainer Leaves Their Audience Wanting More"

This idea can be applied to many things in life.
I'd like to explore a few:

1. A job interview - I've read in a book that when we're in an interview, use only 2 minutes to answer a question, then end with a statement something to the effect "I hope that answers your question; if you want to know more, let me know." Leave your interviewer wanting to know more.

2. Talking with other people (whether networking or someone you know real well)
I need to remember this probably more than anyone reading this, but as it's been said "God gave us two ears and one mouth, that's probably a hint as to how often we should use each" - As I mentioned above about interviews, we need to do the same while having conversations with people on any subject; talk less, listen more. I need to remember to give only the high level overview of my thoughts and let them ask for more.

3. When you are "entertaining" someone
Whether you play an instrument, sing, speak, throw parties, or cook for others, when you are entertaining someone it's good to keep this principle in mind. As some people say: "End on a good note." If someone gives you a standing ovation, it's time to stop. If someone seems to really enjoy something you did, that's when it's time to stop, We've all seen when someone had a really good performance of a song and then after everyone enjoyed it, they went on to do another that wasn't enjoyed as much. End on a good note.

What are your thoughts on this subject?


No comments: