Sunday, December 09, 2012

Second week of Advent: Peace

Today is the second week of advent. Today we lit the candle of Peace (last week was Hope).



Advent is a season of looking forward to Christ's birth and his coming. It's also reminds us of anticipating his second coming. It is celebrated the four Sundays leading up to Christmas, the day we celebrate the birth of Christ on December 25th!

Here are some verses about the peace that God gives. I believe the one from John 14:27 is most significant for us to consider; God's peace is better and different than the peace the world gives.


You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3 ESV)

"For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. (Isaiah 55:12 ESV)

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" (Luke 2:14 ESV)

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27 ESV)

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33 ESV)

Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you." (John 20:21 ESV)

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 5:1 ESV)

Please feel free to share your verses and thoughts on Advent here in the comments!

No comments: