I was recently involved in a discussion about how we could sell Project Management. What is the value? What is the ROI? What are the benefits?
How do you sell it? How do you convince people of the value?
We were speaking in the context of selling the value of a PMO, but maybe many of the same points could be applied to selling Project Management.
Can you provide some stories about how you've sold PM (or a PMO) to management?
Here are some related articles and websites of interest:
- PMI research on the value of PM: http://www.pmi.org/BusinessSolutions/Pages/Researching-Value-of-Project-Management-Study.aspx
- PMIs book on Researching The Value of Project Management: http://www.pmi.org/Marketplace/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?GMProduct=00101065301
- A book on PMO has a section on "selling" the PMO: http://www.thepmobook.com/thepmobook/Default.aspx?tabid=54
- Recent article on the value of a PMO: http://www.projectsatwork.com/article.cfm?ID=249898
- Article in the Financial Post: http://www.financialpost.com/executive/story.html?id=930145&p=1