Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pilgrim's Progress Presentation

Last night I saw a wonderful "Pilgrim's Progress" Presentation (note: follow the link for free copies). It was given by Jim Winder (Website about the presentation here: thehardbutrightway.com) in Ocean Grove and was based on the book by John Bunyan.

The presentation was a bit of acting/telling the story interspersed with songs.

I enjoyed reading the story to my daughter years ago. This presentation re-sparked my interest in the book. I'm hoping to read it again.

I would say that the main thread of the story is based on the scripture:

Matthew 7:13-14 (New International Version)

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Jesus said these words. He also said that he is the narrow road that leads to life (John 14:6).

I hope you find the narrow way. If you want to know more, just contact me.

I watched and listened to the presentation last night while sitting next to a family of our good friends. It was great to see the play through the eyes of someone almost 10 years old. She was very perceptive of the meaning of the allegory, which is very impressive for someone her age. It was a joy to see her rejoicing in the triumphs of the main character.

At one point, the main character of the story meets someone who is going the wrong way on the path. They had believed at one point, but had wondered for a long time and had given up. They no longer believed. At that point I noticed the countenance changed in my young friend sitting next to me; she was looking downward, was very sad, and said "this is horrible." Later, I asked why, and she said "because he was going the wrong way." It was so deeply touching to my heart to feel her sadness over someone who was lost. I, too, have felt a deep sorrow for people who are lost on life's way. Jesus is so close and wants to give them life. I pray for them individually.

I encourage you to read the story of "Pilgrims Progress." I know that I intend to read it. If you do too, it will give you strength and understanding to know Him better. And, that's the best encouragement there is!

No comments: