Monday, May 18, 2009

My latest battle: Time

Did you ever stop and listen how much people talk about time?
I started listening last week to how much that word is used.

My dad went away for a Tres Dias "retreat" weekend. He told me the time flew.
I heard other people talking about how fast time flies.

Time is something I battle with a lot.
Those of you who know me, know that one of my sayings is that "I'm going to be late for my own funeral." I hope that means I will live a long full life, but it also means I'm late for lots of stuff. I am always trying to squeeze out one more millisecond and get one more thing done. (like taking the time to post this real quick before bedtime) .

I was battling time this weekend. After a wonderful Saturday (going to work at OG, being with my wife and friends, then a wonderful coffee house), I was in such a great mood. It spilled over to worship on Sunday. I was even thinking about how great it was to be in a good mood - I am usually too busy, stressed, frustrated to have them. I hoped it would last all day Sunday.

I thought: I got lots done yesterday, I'll do lots today too! Then, time started working against me. I quickly ran out. The sand slipped through the hourglass. The clock ticked away.

Do you battle with time? I remember the story of the rocks being put into the jar. One pastor actually did this during his sermon: put the big rocks in first, then the pebbles, then the sand, then the water - you'll fit more that way. We try to run such efficient lives, try to pack it all in so tightly.

We need to take time for the good things, because the good things take time.

And, it is true, we need to "put the big rocks in first" - we need to do the highest priority things first.

I remember a pastor preaching about the different types of time: Chronos (Human time) and Chiros (God's time). With the Lord, one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day (2 Peter 3:8).

Do you know how much the word "time" is mentioned in the Bible? Go to Biblegateway.com and do a search. You'll get lots of results on the word "time." There's the time chapter: Ecclesiastes 3. The best verse in there from my perspective is Vs. 11: that God makes everything beautiful in His time.

Are you battling time? Set your priorities! God is on your side as you follow him. Put him first. Matthew 6:33 - Be encouraged!

No comments: