Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Use the GROW coaching model to increase performance

Many coaching organizations use the G.R.O.W. model to coach people to better performance.

The model is simple to remember:

G = Goal: what is the goal you are trying to obtain?
R = Reality: Where are you now?
O = Options/Opportunities: What are the options available?
W = Will: What will you do? What option do you select and how will you do it?

I've heard from several sources that this model was created by Sir John Witmore.

I find this particularly helpful in my own life when:
  • Considering a decision (at home or work)
  • Approaching my manager/boss with an issue (I walk him through my answers to each step in this method)
  • Coaching someone else (It helps them to think through the issue, possible options, and action step)
I hope this helps you in your life as much as it has me!

No comments: